Avant Labs
JohnMK

Severe acne

Vigorous scrubbing is NOT a good idea for ANYONE with acne!

While I totally disagree with that statement, it does prompt me to expand my original statement. You dont want to be vigorously scrubbing large areas of highly inflamed, puss filled lesions, clearly. You have to get past this stage with broad application antibacterial treatments such as BP or BP with antibiotic and antibacterial washes. Problem is these do nothing to clear out comedones which will be waiting to develop into full blown lesions given the right conditions. This is when retinoids and exfoliation can really help. Vigorous scrubbing is easily tolerated by the skin. Its uncomfortable at first, but you adapt quite quickly. One of the probs with topical approaches is that the methods that work do require a lot of discipline and discomfort and most ppl just can’t go the distance.

Riker

WOW you got me a little freaking out now. Im on month 2 of using accutain and im starting to have some sides. (nose bleeds, chapped lips and such) I have been getting my bloodwork ran every month and everything is in normal values so im not to concerned.

What about topical roaccutane, isotrentoin(?) - generically I've found the Isotrex gel to be very harsh on my skin causing red flare ups and really burning the pimples away. I've recently found a cream called Retrieve and it's pretty much isotrentoin but appears to be way less harsh and works great at night.

also, remember keep your face clean - I use one of those pore mitts, a bit of soap (ee gasp) and some tea tree oil (GODSEND) and I find that dries em out pretty good during the day - plus leave my face tingly biggrin.gif

www.acne.org, read about "the regimen". Totally worked for me, cleared up deep acne on my cheeks. its all about 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide and tons of it. Dont take antibiotics, they nuke your whole system.

Currently I have my gf on no-flush niacin. Her acne is not severe whatsoever, but she still gets frustrated so we're trying it out. smile.gif. After a week of use i've noticed practically no knew acne has surfaced, and her skin is becoming a lot more clear and free of redness/dryness.

249663[/snapback]

bro what dose do u have her on?

What fun is no-flush niacin? I somewhat enjoy flushing like a toilet several times a day.

WOW you got me a little freaking out now.  Im on month 2 of using accutain and im starting to have some sides.  (nose bleeds, chapped lips and such)  I have been getting my bloodwork ran every month and everything is in normal values so im not to concerned.

257889[/snapback]

My daughter was on two courses of it. It took like 6+ months. Her joints hurt so bad at times she almost cried, yet continued to play competitive golf because of the chance to go to State. I should have made her quit... perhaps the golf, but now I would the accutane. As u can read earlier, she had a liver transplant 5 years after the accutane. Did it cause it? I dunno. Did it contribute? Damn straight!. Her liver panel was elevated by month 5 and never got better for the 2 years the derm had it drawn. You draw the conclusions.

G

Seems like you're getting many responses. I took Accutane once and it worked great. Had my blood checked every month and have never had any problems. Stayed clear until I got pregnant. Have heard Guggul works.

As far as lasers go; they won't clear up acne on their own..you need to check into professional blue light therapy. I have been going to a place to have microlaser peels to get rid of acne scarring and one day I had a huge honkin zit by my nose. The dr. said to do the blue light on it so I did. They held the light there for about a minute and the next day it popped and healed with no fuss or muss. Not like my other zits that pop and linger for weeks and sometimes months. The microlaser peels will help as far as scarring and rebuilding collagen. I've also noticed I don't get as many of the big deep pimples anymore. I've had 1 25 micron, 1 30 micron, and 1 15 micron peel in the last 3 months. Oh, one more thing. I was having problems with acne on my chest, shoulders, and back and was trying all kinds of washes and scrubs. Nothing worked--one day I got aggrevated and decided I just wasn't going to wash my back anymore. Well, guess what--acne cleared up 99%! Sounds gross but it worked. I just get into the warm shower and use my hand to rub the dead skin off and stuff but don't use any cleanser at all. Just my 2 cents.

from personal expeirences with acne, i've found the best solution that work'd for me, is/was Clearasil Ultra, Gillete Complete Moisutizer and a little bit a Proactiv.

I've tried all the prescription stuff like Reterin-A-Micro, Diffirin, Ect. (my mom is a dermotologist)

but the OTC stuff worked the best for me.

Cystic acne runs in my family. I've took Accutane 3 times during my 7th and 8th grade years. It reduced my acne somewhat, but was not very effective. However, it was great at making my skin flake off like a burn victim and it did leave me with a permanent dry eye/dry skin problem, which is something that I dont enjoy too much. This side effect has been persistent (I'm 23 now).

Thanks to Dr. Weil, I discovered that casein (dairy protein) was the cause of my cystic acne (as well my as asthma, and some allergies). I constantly have to monitor what goes into my body to make sure that it does not contain any hidden casein, a common additive to many processed products. The effects are cumulative, so I can get away with maybe a glass of milk per week without any adverse effects, however, if I to drinking 1/2-1gallon of skim milk per day, like back in my teen years, the cystic acne (as well as the asthma and severe allergies) will return. It can take up to a 6 week washout period to return to "normal".

If only I had known this in Jr. High, I wouldn't have had to subject myself to Accutane.

I had horrible acne ever since I was 16 and they put me on everything under the sun from topicals to pills, and I even tried that proactive solution way before Jessica Simpson was their spokesperson. None of these made a noticeable difference.

Jump forward 2 years to age 18 and a freshmen in college. Same treatment for the past two year but no results at all. Anyone who was a freshmen in college knows the situation I was in and how a face full of acne can be devestating so I requested to be put on Accutane to clear this up. I started out at the minimum dose and worked up to sort of a moderate dose, but I can't remember how much. Every other week I got blood work done to monitor my liver and other parameters. I even drank a little bit while on accutane.

The only side effect I noticed from the 3 page pamphlet warning me of possible side effects was chapped lips. Like mike said, I went through probably a chapstick/week. My liver values never even came close to the minimum values and my cholesterol peaked at maybe 150.

Now at 21 with no liver problems to speak of, in my opinion, this is a miracle drug. But hey different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't know how it can wreck someone's liver unless they are not being properly monitored via bloodwork and in that case its time to find a new dermotologist.

It's a fact- curing acne can never be achieved by tackling one of the many factors responsible for acne. If you've ever tried to cure your acne using one-dimensional treatments like antibiotics or even detox diets and failed it's probably because you tackled only one aspect of the disease. Not only will this system teach you the only way to prevent your acne from being formed, you will also learn the only way to acne treatments for good - the holistic way.