Avant Labs

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stay Puft

Carbohydrate Cycling by Twin Peak

Here is list of some essential reads for anyone looking at a great diet that is simple to execute and produces results.

This is a copy of the original publication from Mind and Muscle Magazine.

Part II: Carb Cycling.

Here is a thread that can be found in the M&M section of the board containing extensive Q&A with the author himself.

Carb Cycling Q&A Article directly from M&M.

Feel free to ask any questions you like (in this Diet forum) pertaining to Carb Cycling following sufficient investigation of the archives above.

Thanks,

Derek.

I can't access the past issues or links here from the original carb-cycling articles by TP; may be because of the switchover. Can you check the links? Thanks!!!

The problem with the links can be attributed to the swtich over. I'll have everything peachy-keen once its rolling and I'm back at home from spring break ;).s

Hi,

Im thinking of doing TP's Carb Cycling diet for my upcoming cut.Before I do I have a few questions that I hope someone with more expericance of this diet can help me with? :)

1.)Im @ around 20% BF at the moment, Would CC be a good choice at this level of fat? or would I be better served on a more traditional keto or semi-keto diet? im attempting to hold on too as much LBM rather than get super shreded.Aiming for about 20lbs of fat loss and 15% BF as my goal, Of corse more is always welcome :P

2.)On the NO carb days.I want to use various forms of protien for my meals, but they do however contain small amounts of carbs? would these still be ok as a "NO Carb" choice?

I.E

500g of cottage cheese contains around 12g of carbs

4xScoops of Whey=around 3g carbs

2xScoops Micellar Caesin around 6g carbs

So could I still use the above choices?

3.)Would this routine be ok? im going to be training full body style 2-3x a week with between 3x6 sessions of

HIIT or medium effort style cardio.

Mon-Low

Tue-No

Wed-High

Thurs-Low

Friday-No

Sat-High

Sun-Low

1.)Im @ around 20% BF at the moment, Would CC be a good choice at this level of fat?

CC is a good choice at any bf%.

2.)On the NO carb days.I want to use various forms of protien for my meals, but they do however contain small amounts of carbs? would these still be ok as a "NO Carb" choice?

They are acceptable, but for obvious reasons try to keep the carbs as low as possible.

3.)Would this routine be ok? im going to be training full body style 2-3x a week with between 3x6 sessions of

HIIT or medium effort style cardio.

Mon-Low

Tue-No

Wed-High

Thurs-Low

Friday-No

Sat-High

Sun-Low

For an individual with 20% bf, I'd suggest 1 Hi day/week and at least one more No carb day.

Perhaps: Low, No, No, High, Low, No, Low

CC is a good choice at any bf%.

They are acceptable, but for obvious reasons try to keep the carbs as low as possible.

For an individual with 20% bf, I'd suggest 1 Hi day/week and at least one more No carb day.

Perhaps: Low, No, No, High, Low, No, Low

Thank's Stay Puft,

1.) I'll give the Low, No, No, High, Low, No, Low routine a shot.Athough TP mentions he doesent think 2xNO days should go back to back.I take it you dont see a problem with me doing this at my currect BF though? :)

2.)Should I be aiming for around a 1lb a week fat loss? or is this diet more effective than a traditional keto type diet? im giving myself 3 months on it and im aiming to lose around 20lbs, Though I know the first week I'll probs lose at least 6-8lbs of water.

3.)As a carb source you are allowed All-Bran.Could I have this with semi-skimmed milk and not have to count it

as a seprate protien source?

IMO, I think cottage cheese should be saved for low or high carb days.

Well I'll give it a shot on "NO" carb days and if the scale wont budge i'll cut it off :) I just cant stand the thought of all that bland meat and fish 4 times a day.Im limiting whey and alternatives to a maximum of 2x a day to avoid spiking insulin.

Frank Cardia talks Nutrition

Nutrition holds a very important place and any athlete would need to ensure that he or she consumes proper nutritious food that could naturally enhance or optimize his or her performance. Training for a marathon is a great excuse to start eating more nutritious food. After you’ve been running for a while you may actually start to crave healthy foods.

A runner’s diet should include at least 0.4 pounds of chicken per pound of body weight. The best protein sources are fish and chicken. Apart from the above mentioned nutrients, vitamins and minerals also play a major role. Most runners must include supplements of iron and calcium to increase their Basal Metabolic Rate.

Deriving calories from a number of foods ensure that the body fulfills its want for micro-nutrients that consist of vitamins and minerals and macro-nutrients involving carbohydrates, fats and proteins.

If athletes introduce a lot of carbohydrates into their diet, it will help their muscles to absorb and store more energy which results in good overall performance. But an important note here would be to consume at least 75% of the calories through carbohydrate-rich foods like bread, cereals, grains and fruits.

Different carbohydrates have differing ways to affect a runner’s energy levels which is why only those foods should be chosen in the carbohydrate segment which have a high glycemic index.

Frank Cardia notes an important aspect here that all nutrients fail to perform if the body does not get its quota of water. A minimum amount of thirst suggests that the body is dehydrated, as a result of which the levels of performance get diminished.