Avant Labs

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Par Deus

The Wiki

Now that the AL/M&M split has happened, we will be getting the wiki going properly, with internal backing and oversight.

Brendan is upgrading the wiki software today.

I think we decided to start clean since it had been invaded and overrun by spam. It will still be up at M&M for a while to transfer stuff.

Was just watching the video from this post over at M&M http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/index.p...topic=22920&hl=

and I was thinking I'd never have pronounced caretanoids the way they do, I always ephasais the carot sound to sound like the veggie, which as far as I know is what they are named after.

Point being, the wiki deff. needs to have some audio pronunciation guides IMO.

I recal we had a great thread on pronouncing some of this stuff ages ago.

I upgraded the MediaWiki software.

I made it so anonymous users won't be able to edit the wiki (in this case, we won't get fucking trolls and spammers) so that means anyone who is going to contribute needs to create an account. I still need to play with the skin and permissions.

How does Wikipedia protect itself from spammers, since it is by far the largest wiki on the net (and allows anonymous contribution, to boot)

How does Wikipedia protect itself from spammers, since it is by far the largest wiki on the net (and allows anonymous contribution, to boot)

It is closely monitored and maintained and such by a group of about 1000 people.

But, it gets all kinds of crazy shit on there that gets by.

I want to work on the wiki, but I don't want to work on it from scratch. Right now at www.avantlabs.com/wiki it seems someone just installed the wiki and said "fuck it" and went on their way.

I want to work on the wiki, but I don't want to work on it from scratch. Right now at www.avantlabs.com/wiki it seems someone just installed the wiki and said "fuck it" and went on their way.

Hah yeah that was me. We have to see how we are redesigning the website first, that's why I really didn't do anything aesthetic to it.

I'd like to do some work on it. Starting clean sounds fine, but do we have a main page at least with some basic organizational things set? And how about putting the avant logo in the corner there? Its very hard to start a wiki from a tabula rasa, its a very odd situation to be in.

I'd like to do some work on it. Starting clean sounds fine, but do we have a main page at least with some basic organizational things set? And how about putting the avant logo in the corner there? Its very hard to start a wiki from a tabula rasa, its a very odd situation to be in.

Yes, we will provide some starting organizational structure and content, as well. It will probably be at least 2 weeks before I am ready to do much on this, just so everyone is aware.

*pushes against the ball, trying to get it rolling*

I'm trying to get all kinds of things going, but with the move to OK and what it opens up, I have more things to try to get going.

I'm not complaining really; I'd just like to see this underway. I think it could be a great resource, and maybe I'm just not sure how much really needs to be done from your side before it can be turned over to the community. Maybe I underestimate what needs to be done from the administration side....

What do you lose by leaving NY? If nothing, why didn't you move back to OK a long time ago?

It is one of many things that needs to be done and can be done fairly easily. But, when there are 100s of such things, you have to make a priority list.

The reason i did not take it back to OK earlier was because I needed to live L.A. and NYC to get them out of my system. There was never any business advantage to either.

Understood.

I guess I can kind of understand the desire to live in those cities.. its just never been strong enough to motivate me to call U-haul.

Anyway I'm sure other things are way more important, especially if they involve great products.

It's the whole company going to be relocated? Or just administrative offices?

What city in OK?

Well, much of the company is pure internet (i.e. most of our people can live anywhere they want and work from home/other job/school.

What is being oved to OK will be basically a small office, a lab, plus all of our warehousing, and the production we do (and, we'll move more of that in-house)

The location is in Midwest City, which is a suburb of OKC.