Avant Labs
virtualcyber

Dieting with Resveratrol

Here's what has me stumped VC...your fast isn't really long enough to be burning a lot of fat. I'd think you would basically be running on stored glycogen mainly.

I used to think that hunger pangs are sure sign that blood glucose has dropped low enough for the body to start mobilizing fat, though I could be off on that. As for IF, I am pretty sure that fat burning is occurring.

wt: 180

Bench Strength 225 x 3

Cardio: 12 min, level 10 x 6 + level 12 x 1

Yesterdays cals: ~ don't know.

Notes:

(1) There is not much more information to be had -- I will discontinue this log. It is worthwhile noting that, this diet is very sensitive to refeed caloric intake. I have been eating a lot during refeeds to keep my weight up -- but if I had eating just a tad less, I would be a lot lighter. This has been intentional on my part.

(2) There seems to be a genuine issue with IF, with regard to injuries. It is that injuries that used to heal quickly, do not seem to be going away. For example, whenever I used to have a mild back muscle pull (or knotted back muscle), which are fairly common, they'd go away in a day or two. This time around, it has been 3 days, and I still have it. Joint pains, and other nagging pains come and they stay for good.

I don't think the issue here is the low calories -- obviously, I have enough cals to heal. The issue here seems to be related to IF itself.

(3) There is still some strength increase. It is gradual -- my log updates are too frequent to refflect that.

(4) When I get my arachidonic acid from Bulk Nutrition, I will start another log. I will see how it affects things. If AA does amplify the damage signals from tissues, all the injuries should go away. Strength increases should be faster; I should be leaning out faster.

The question here is whether I should continue with IF when I start on AA.

How is AA WRT effects on joint health?

If AA seems to promote joint health then by the same token it would likely also promote healing of injuries.

If the reverse is true,IF on AA would be pretty horrible.

Either way,I am looking forward to your log on AA.Your method of evaluation would be the definitive word on the efficacy of AA as far as I'm concerned,given your subjective feedback is.....well,it's fucking on point,for lack of more concise terminology.

wt: 180

Bench Strength 225 x 4 (cheated on the last rep, but still stronger).

Cardio: 12 min, level 10 x 6 + level 12 x 1

Yesterdays cals: ~ don't know.

Notes: ok, I had to log this. I just gained strength.

How is AA WRT effects on joint health?

If AA seems to promote joint health then by the same token it would likely also promote healing of injuries.

If the reverse is true,IF on AA would be pretty horrible.

We will find out. If what sub7 hinted at is true, then, AA should significantly help.

It is true that AA is associated with inflammation. But is it because the body is trying to repair damaged tissue via AA signaling, or is it because AA is causing more inflammation? I think it is the former.

New study

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/...e.ap/index.html

Mega-dosing in obese mice

Resveratrol improves health and survival of mice on a high-calorie diet

Joseph A. Baur1,13, Kevin J. Pearson2,13, Nathan L. Price2, Hamish A. Jamieson7, Carles Lerin8, Avash Kalra2, Vinayakumar V. Prabhu3, Joanne S. Allard2, Guillermo Lopez-Lluch9, Kaitlyn Lewis2, Paul J. Pistell2, Suresh Poosala4, Kevin G. Becker3, Olivier Boss10, Dana Gwinn11, Mingyi Wang5, Sharan Ramaswamy6, Kenneth W. Fishbein6, Richard G. Spencer6, Edward G. Lakatta5, David Le Couteur7, Reuben J. Shaw11, Placido Navas9, Pere Puigserver8, Donald K. Ingram2,12, Rafael de Cabo2 and David A. Sinclair1

Top of page

Abstract

Resveratrol (3,5,4'-trihydroxystilbene) extends the lifespan of diverse species including Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Caenorhabditis elegans and Drosophila melanogaster. In these organisms, lifespan extension is dependent on Sir2, a conserved deacetylase proposed to underlie the beneficial effects of caloric restriction. Here we show that resveratrol shifts the physiology of middle-aged mice on a high-calorie diet towards that of mice on a standard diet and significantly increases their survival. Resveratrol produces changes associated with longer lifespan, including increased insulin sensitivity, reduced insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-I) levels, increased AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor- coactivator 1 (PGC-1) activity, increased mitochondrial number, and improved motor function. Parametric analysis of gene set enrichment revealed that resveratrol opposed the effects of the high-calorie diet in 144 out of 153 significantly altered pathways. These data show that improving general health in mammals using small molecules is an attainable goal, and point to new approaches for treating obesity-related disorders and diseases of ageing

BTW...this is the equivalent of 2grams/per day in a 90kg human.

How much resveratrol is there in a glass of red wine?

EDIT: "Sinclair's mice took such high doses of resveratrol that it would be the equivalent of an adult drinking 100 bottles of wine daily." :blink:

From an e-mail I got from www.longevinex.com

The mouse/resveratrol study dispels earlier reports that orally consumed resveratrol is not biologically available. Two doses of resveratrol were employed in the study, equivalent in humans to 350 and 1540 milligrams for a 160-pound (70 kilos) human. The published results of the study involved the higher dose, which produced more pronounced effects.

Resveratrol from dietary supplements may not be equivalent to what researchers used in the laboratory test. Research-grade trans resveratrol was employed in the study (99% trans resveratrol, preserved in opaque, airtight, frozen vials). Upon exposure to light, heat or oxygen, trans resveratrol may convert to the less biologically active form, cis resveratrol, which does not activate the Sirtuin 1 gene, believed to be responsible for its beneficial health effects.

One manufacturer of dietary supplements (Longevinex®) has shown that botanical sources of trans resveratrol, encapsulated in airtight capsules (Licaps®, Capsugel®) and never exposed to light, heat or oxygen during manufacturing, maintains its molecular integrity for up to 2 years of shelf life and that significant amounts of resveratrol in conventionally-made pills may undesirably convert from trans to cis resveratrol and their labeled dosage may not be accurate. ( www.longevinex.com )

From an e-mail I got from www.longevinex.com

The mouse/resveratrol study dispels earlier reports that orally consumed resveratrol is not biologically available. Two doses of resveratrol were employed in the study, equivalent in humans to 350 and 1540 milligrams for a 160-pound (70 kilos) human. The published results of the study involved the higher dose, which produced more pronounced effects.

Are these people retarded? Anything to move some product I guess. It's known that resveratrol has 30% bioavailability in rodents, compared to 0% in humans. The issue with resveratrol is that it picks up functional groups in the liver, rather than being degraded. What is yet unclear, is whether or not those altered forms have similar biological activity.

Are these people retarded? Anything to move some product I guess. It's known that resveratrol has 30% bioavailability in rodents, compared to 0% in humans. The issue with resveratrol is that it picks up functional groups in the liver, rather than being degraded. What is yet unclear, is whether or not those altered forms have similar biological activity.

How about monkeys?

"The study is so promising that the aging institute this week is strongly considering a repeat of the same experiment with rhesus monkeys, "

How about monkeys?

"The study is so promising that the aging institute this week is strongly considering a repeat of the same experiment with rhesus monkeys, "

It's not known, but the cytochrome p450 system in humans is considerably different than that of rhesus macaques as evidenced by any number of pharmacology studies. The logical experiment would be to test the hydroxyated and sulfonated forms that are found in the human blood stream both in vitro and by IV injection in animal models IMO.

Any conclusions on whether users have a realistic shot at reaping any benefits by supplementing resveratrol? (store-bought stuff/online/etc).

If trans is truly the bioactive/important isomer, does the cis antagonize the trans? If so, all those special encapsulating methods may be important (if they work). Also, wouldn't trans-resveratrol be more stable than cis-resveratrol, such that the trans-resveratrol content would increase over time?

The conclusion I clearly see is that one is effectively assed out if buying res off the net in supplement form,regardless of it being capped under tight supervision,blah blah,ad naseum.

I would be interested in buying some of the 99% trans res frozen in artight vials,if it didn't cost a couple hundred a month but that seems to be a remote possibility.

I have placed inquiries. Now that I am much more involved with the workings of the factory in China, this MIGHT be something we could do (opaque, airtight capsules sealed directly in bottles.)

Also, perhaps a liquid form can be gelcapped.

The conclusion I clearly see is that one is effectively assed out if buying res off the net in supplement form,regardless of it being capped under tight supervision,blah blah,ad naseum.

I would be interested in buying some of the 99% trans res frozen in artight vials,if it didn't cost a couple hundred a month but that seems to be a remote possibility.

Does this paper suggests that good resveratrol can be purchased from your local vitamin store??

In comparison to a hypothetical paper published after the recent Nature paper, the publication date of this paper suggests that there may have been a lower probability that the authors were pressured to design experiments which favored only the most ultra-pure, ultra-expensive resveratrol. In any case, is there any convincing literature to suggest that "99% trans res frozen in airtight vials" is necessary to reap any of the touted benefits of resveratrol?

J. Agric. Food Chem., 44 (5), 1253 -1257, 1996. jf9504576 S0021-8561(95)00457-2

Resveratrol: Isomeric Molar Absorptivities and Stability

Brent C. Trela and Andrew L. Waterhouse*

Department of Viticulture and Enology, University of California, Davis, California 95616

Resveratrol has attracted interest as a wine constituent that may reduce heart disease. Published data on the molar absorptivity and chemical stability of cis- and trans-resveratrol have varied greatly. Accurate values for UV absorbance for trans-resveratrol [uV max (EtOH) nm () 308 (30 000)] and cis-resveratrol [uV max (EtOH) nm () 288 (12 600)] were determined and are used to improve chromatographic quantitation methods. Trials conducted under a variety of commonly encountered laboratory conditions show that trans-resveratrol is stable for months, except in high-pH buffers, when protected from light. cis-Resveratrol was stable only near pH neutrality when completely protected from light.

Is this 100% accurate? Has it been validated? I have done a lot of reading on it and I have never come across this.

I did see this though.

Although trans-resveratrol appears to be well-absorbed by humans when taken orally, its bioavailability is relatively low due to its rapid metabolism and elimination (7). When healthy men and women took an oral dose of 25 mg of trans-resveratrol, only traces of the unchanged resveratrol were detected in plasma (blood), while plasma concentrations of resveratrol metabolites peaked 30-60 minutes later at concentrations around 2 micromoles/liter (7, 8). The bioavailability of resveratrol from grape juice, which contains mostly glucosides of resveratrol (piceid) may be even lower than that of trans-resveratrol (9). Information about the bioavailability of resveratrol in humans is important because much of the basic research on resveratrol has been conducted in cultured cells exposed to unmetabolized resveratrol at concentrations that are often 10-100 times greater than peak concentrations observed in human plasma after oral consumption (10). Although cells that line the digestive tract are exposed to unmetabolized resveratrol, research in humans suggests that other tissues are exposed primarily to resveratrol metabolites. Little is known about the biological activity of resveratrol metabolites, and it is not known whether some tissues are capable of converting resveratrol metabolites back to resveratrol (7).

This is a really exciting compound. I wish we knew more...

Is this 100% accurate? Has it been validated? I have done a lot of reading on it and I have never come across this.

yes it's accurate everything I've stated in this thread comes straight from the primary scientific literature and there have been multiple studies on this topic.

what i don't understand is if resveratrol has a bioavailibility of 0, then how is it that there is a strong correlation between resveratrol consumption (as in red wine) and health benefits?

what i don't understand is if resveratrol has a bioavailibility of 0, then how is it that there is a strong correlation between resveratrol consumption (as in red wine) and health benefits?

Indeed. :)

exactly, minute doses in red wine seem to have very noticeable effects. What is so different about the resv in wine and the more potent extracts?

exactly, minute doses in red wine seem to have very noticeable effects. What is so different about the resv in wine and the more potent extracts?

If I had to guess this is what I would say.

The liver glucorinisirgerigeiriiizes(technical term) the resveratrol and renders it inactive. BUT if the liver is busy breaking down alcohol it may not be doing that. It could even be that ethanol itself inhibits glucoronidatisiiiazionss, so that the resveratrol can float freely.

Also, with wine, if a person drank two glasses a night for the next 30 years, that's a good amount of resveratrol I imagine.

As a side note, something I am trying: Bioperine inhibits glucoriniadiszationns. I'm taking a cocktail of resveratrol extract and curcumin with bioperine for enhanced absorption. The crappy part is that even if it's working I dont think there's anything short term to gain from it. The effects would be subtle I assume and over a lifetime would show benefit but it's not like two months from now I can say, oh yeah my life has definitely changed thanks to resveratrol.

There's other shit in red wine besides resveratrol?

would any biochem experts care to weigh in on this?

If I had to guess this is what I would say.

The liver glucorinisirgerigeiriiizes(technical term) the resveratrol and renders it inactive. BUT if the liver is busy breaking down alcohol it may not be doing that. It could even be that ethanol itself inhibits glucoronidatisiiiazionss, so that the resveratrol can float freely.

Also, with wine, if a person drank two glasses a night for the next 30 years, that's a good amount of resveratrol I imagine.

As a side note, something I am trying: Bioperine inhibits glucoriniadiszationns. I'm taking a cocktail of resveratrol extract and curcumin with bioperine for enhanced absorption. The crappy part is that even if it's working I dont think there's anything short term to gain from it. The effects would be subtle I assume and over a lifetime would show benefit but it's not like two months from now I can say, oh yeah my life has definitely changed thanks to resveratrol.

Resveratrol has some anti-inflammatory properties that I can attest to, when I was abusing PEA powder (several grams q20m) it felt like my brain was on fire, and after using resveratrol i could tell it was dowsing the fire in my brain. I tried this on several occasions (since I could not stop using it) and each time it was the same. Using it beforehand seemed to stop the "my brain feels like it is on fire" feeling.

The liver glucor... the resveratrol and renders it inactive. BUT if the liver is busy breaking down alcohol it may not be doing that. It could even be that ethanol itself inhibits glucor..., so that the resveratrol can float freely.

This is the most logical theory I have seen so far, and sometimes the simplest most logical thing, is right.

If the liver is busy breaking down alcohol, Resveratrol could indeed be. slipping right by the liver.

This explains why the French Paradox works, while other options may not.

Who knows, there may be loads of other supplements out there that would work 1000% more effectively, if we just made sure to get drunk before we take them.

:lol:

I haven't checked Pubmed (yes,I am a indeed a shiftless wankshaft) to confirm weether the 2 additives in the res. cocotoion below by PA will actually do what's promised but it looks good and fairly enticing.

For PCT,that is,with the possibility of effective res but with 6-bromo and so on there is ample competition tolive up to and bypass to make this worth buying as 6-0X) in itself is old hat.

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/1347/6-oxo-extreme.html

Thoughts?

Resveratrol activates SIRT1 in humans - an enzyme, also Resveratrol activated during calorie restriction. Resveratrol helps reduce the negative effects of stress. Resveratrol is excellent products. I'm a huge fan of Resveratrol.

Read More: