Avant Labs
Sign in to follow this  
Gahan

Time for some Genetic Engineering?

I was watching a public TV show about the history of physics last night. It was a pretty comprehensive show, starting with Newton, then Maxwell, Einstein and Bohr. But then it started on everyone's favorite scientific theory: String Theory.

Or in other words, the We-have-no-fucking-clue theory. It hit me then that these are some incredibly smart scientists that are completely stumped, and starting to move outside the confines of pure science to get 'answers' to the questions they've always wanted to answer. I mean, the average IQ of a theoretical physicist must be around 150 or so, and the brightest are probably hovering around 200, correct? IF they are completely stumped and have dedicated their entire life to the pursuit, maybe it's time to turn to genetics for help? Physicists have been confused in the past, such as the period preceding the development of quantum mechanics, but I can't remember an instance when they started fabricating untestable, and to a certain extent, arbitrary, hypotheses to expalin the universe.

I realize this is a long time away, maybe 100 years (if it is possible), but isn't there a good chance that we just aren't smart enough to figure out everything? A basic assumption of modern science, and an unscientific one I might add, is that we can figure everything out. Who says we can? There is no logical reason to believe so.

Imagine a future population with an average IQ of 200+. I am willing to bet the universe's secrets woul'd not be so elusive to us then. Of course suggesting such a thing is to invite numerous cries of outrage and paranoia from people who have watched too many Sci-Fi movies, but it will happen.

It's not as if human nature allows us to ignore vast amounts of power that we have the capability to tap. Preventing such enhancement is impossible, and it may ultimately be our salvation from problems such as overpopulation, pollution, and disease.

Not to mention the cultural changes that would come about if the average person had an IQ over the genius level. It's not as if you can be that smart and then live the life of our average citizen today. Intelligence has wide-reaching effects on personality, much for the better, IMO.

There I go rambling again, 17 and already an old man. :o

Your idea may be happening. Autism clusters in Silicon Valley may hint at an upper limit for nerd combination.

Thats only half tongue in cheek, as it seems to be a valid hypothesis for why this frequency is found their.

Your idea may be happening. Autism clusters in Silicon Valley may hint at an upper limit for nerd combination.

Thats only half tongue in cheek, as it seems to be a valid hypothesis for why this frequency is found their.

I've heard of this, but thought it was only an urban myth. Looks like something worth looking into.

I was watching a public TV show about the history of physics last night. It was a pretty comprehensive show, starting with Newton, then Maxwell, Einstein and Bohr. But then it started on everyone's favorite scientific theory: String Theory.

Or in other words, the We-have-no-fucking-clue theory. It hit me then that these are some incredibly smart scientists that are completely stumped, and starting to move outside the confines of pure science to get 'answers' to the questions they've always wanted to answer. I mean, the average IQ of a theoretical physicist must be around 150 or so, and the brightest are probably hovering around 200, correct? IF they are completely stumped and have dedicated their entire life to the pursuit, maybe it's time to turn to genetics for help? Physicists have been confused in the past, such as the period preceding the development of quantum mechanics, but I can't remember an instance when they started fabricating untestable, and to a certain extent, arbitrary, hypotheses to expalin the universe.

I realize this is a long time away, maybe 100 years (if it is possible), but isn't there a good chance that we just aren't smart enough to figure out everything? A basic assumption of modern science, and an unscientific one I might add, is that we can figure everything out. Who says we can? There is no logical reason to believe so.

Imagine a future population with an average IQ of 200+. I am willing to bet the universe's secrets woul'd not be so elusive to us then. Of course suggesting such a thing is to invite numerous cries of outrage and paranoia from people who have watched too many Sci-Fi movies, but it will happen.

It's not as if human nature allows us to ignore vast amounts of power that we have the capability to tap. Preventing such enhancement is impossible, and it may ultimately be our salvation from problems such as overpopulation, pollution, and disease.

Not to mention the cultural changes that would come about if the average person had an IQ over the genius level. It's not as if you can be that smart and then live the life of our average citizen today. Intelligence has wide-reaching effects on personality, much for the better, IMO.

There I go rambling again, 17 and already an old man. :o

Just remember that string/m-theory is one of the MANY competitive alternatives for GUT being tendered right now. It just happens to be the most preposterous and the most marketable to the public.

Just remember that string/m-theory is one of the MANY competitive alternatives for GUT being tendered right now. It just happens to be the most preposterous and the most marketable to the public.

I've seen evidence suggesting that Brian Greene is in fact an marketing android controlled by the Republican Dirty Tricks team.

Possibly under direct control of Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), pioneer of Internet Tube Theory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DClkE64nFDY

Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), pioneer of Internet Tube Theory

His comments were most funny, especially considering his position.

J

Sign in to follow this